Friday, March 8, 2013

A New Wesleyan Catechism

Years ago, when I was an MDiv student, I sat in Billy Abraham's evangelism class and listened to him talk about the need for serious catechesis in the United Methodist Church. A couple of years ago, this issue came up again in a conversation that Billy and I had at a conference, and out of that conversation came a new book. This book, Key United Methodist Beliefs, is a ten chapter account of Christianity from a Wesleyan perspective written for laypeople. 

One of the more unusual features of the book is that it contains a traditional catechism, much of which is based upon the catechism in the Book of Common Prayer, but with a distinctively Wesleyan spin. Catechesis has been an integral part of the formation of disciples for much of Christian history, but it has largely been abandoned within mainline Protestantism. This has been a great loss. There is a basic content to Christian faith, and that basic content really does matter. 

If you do end up reading or using this book in your congregation, I would very much like to have your feedback regarding how it did or didn't work for you. 

1 comment:

  1. David,

    I have been eagerly anticipating this book and look forward to using it in my own church setting. I am going to be taking a staff position at my home church here in Marion, AR, in April and I plan on using yours and Billy's work in the coming year. This is exactly the kind of key resource that pastors need to have available to them. Thank you for your faithful and diligent work on behalf of the church of Jesus Christ.

    - Andrew Thompson

    ReplyDelete